I was terribly saddened to hear of the death of Gil Scott-Heron. He and I had been friends since I was in grade school and he tried to best me on the court near my home in Inwood. Gil followed my high school and college careers and we re-connected in the 70’s after he started to produce albums. I was best man at his wedding to Brenda Sykes and spent some time with them at their home in DC before the marriage broke up. I never heard from him after the early 80’s and it was hard for me to deal with the tragic events in his life ie., substance abuse, being jailed, his HIV infection and his abandoning his family. But he was a brilliant poet and performer. All of the rappers have learned from his art and his legacy will endure. @KAJ33
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar undergoes coronary bypass surgery April 17, 2015
- Kareem shares why he converted to Islam March 30, 2015
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar supports Beyond the Bell and literacy in LAUSD (VIDEO) March 3, 2015
- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the basketball icon, reinvented as culture vulture February 27, 2015
- February 22, 2015 – Tempe, AZ – Reading & Signing at Changing Hands Bookstore February 21, 2015
ESPN 2 8:00pm · 9 Apr 2015 Who will win the 2015 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Award (Center of the Year)?#CBBAwards Tune in to see who impressed us
The Walter Scott video is an important issue that's getting me up extra early to go live on @NewDay on CNN @ 5:40 AM CST - w/ Andrew Cuomo.